Lawrence J. Tweel
Location: Huntington, West Virginia
Phone: 304-521-4778, 1-800-479-0053
Born in Huntington, West Virginia, in 1944, Lawrence (Larry) J. Tweel attended Cabell County, West Virginia public schools, graduating from Huntington High School in 1962. Mr. Tweel graduated from Hampden-Sydney College in Hampden-Sydney, Virginia, in 1966, and received his Juris Doctorate in 1969 from the University of Kentucky College of Law in Lexington, Kentucky.
Upon graduation from UK law school, Mr. Tweel taught school in Braxton County, West Virginia Public Schools from 1969-70. Later in 1970-1972, he taught at the Athens Academy High School in Athens, Georgia, where he also served as assistant soccer coach, assistant basketball coach and head golf coach.
Mr. Tweel returned to Kentucky to work as a staff attorney for Kentucky Legal Aid in the Louisville office from 1972-1976. Then, in 1976 Mr. Tweel came back to his hometown of Huntington and joined the law firm of Greene, Ketchum, Bailey & Tweel which eventually became Greene, Ketchum, Farrell, Bailey & Tweel, where he currently continues to practice.
Over his 40 year legal career, Mr. Tweel has handled asbestos exposure cases; car and truck accidents; medical malpractice cases; workers’ compensation claims; social security disability claims; and slip, trip and fall cases. Since 1995, Mr. Tweel has been the managing partner at Greene, Ketchum, Farrell, Bailey & Tweel.
Mr. Tweel has served on numerous boards including the West Virginia State Bar Board of Governors; the West Virginia Ethics Commission; Marshall University Foundation, Inc.; The Society of Yeager Scholars at Marshall University; the Faculty Merit Foundation of West Virginia, Inc. (selects higher education’s “Professor of the Year”); the Marshall University Graduate School Advisory Board; The Big Green Scholarship Foundation; Hospice of Huntington; and the Cabell County American Cancer Society.
Married to the former Cheryl Rucker of Huntington since 1970, Mr. Tweel and his wife have one son, Bradley Benton Tweel, who is a 2006 graduate of Marshall University.
Year Joined Firm
Areas Of Practice
- Car and Truck Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice Claims
- Asbestos Exposure Cases
- West Virginia, 1969
- New York, 1972
University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
Juris Doctorate – 1969
Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden-Sydney, Virginia – 1966
Honors and Awards
Higher Education’s “Professor of the Year”
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Marshall University Foundation, Inc., Board Member
- The Society of Yeager Scholars at Marshall University, Board Member
- Faculty Merit Foundation of West Virginia, Inc., Member
- Marshall University Graduate School Advisory Board, Member
- Marshall University Big Green Scholarship Foundation, Former President
- Marshall University Big Green Scholarship Foundation, Member, Current Executive Committee
- Hospice of Huntington, Former Board Member
- Cabell County American Cancer Society, Past President
- West Virginia State Bar Board of Governors, Former Member
Past Employment Positions
- Kentucky Legal Aid, Louisville, Staff Attorney, 1972 – 1976
- West Virginia Public Schools, Braxton County, 1969 – 1970
- Athens Academy High School, Athens, Georgia, 1970 – 1972
Pro Bono Activities
- Assistant Soccer Coach, Athens Academy High School, Athens, Georgia
- Assistant Basketball Coach, Athens Academy High School, Athens, Georgia
- Head Golf Coach, Athens Academy High School, Athens, Georgia